Friday, September 23, 2011

Follow Friday and TGIF!



This week's featured blogger is Liz over at The World of the Spork Master!

She's all kinds of hilarious, and anyone who likes sporks is good by me so go on over and check her out.




Q. Do you have a favorite series that you read over and over again? Tell us a bit about it and why you keep on revisiting it?

I'm one of those people who rereads books all the time so I could probably list off 30 or so different series that I've gone back to over and over throughout the years.  But I'm going to try not to.  So let's just take Harry Potter as a given since...yes.


1. Tortall by Tamora Pierce.  I first read the Alanna quartet when I was in elementary school (and when the covers were SO terrible), and I loved the story of the girl who dressed up as a boy to become a knight.  I loved her magic and the chivalry and the King of Thieves with his knives and the Prince who chose her as his Squire even though he knew she was a girl. 

I forgot about the books for years though, as one does, and came back to them when I found Trickster's Choice at the bookstore and discovered that Pierce was still writing about her world!  Ever since, I've kept rereading the different quartets and duos that make up the Tortall world because they're all filled with great stories about knights and spies, thieves and cops, dragons and rebellions, and lots of awesomely strong girls and boys.

2. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead.  This is a newer series obviously, but I've reread the poor books - especially the first four so many times.  I love the world Richelle created and how it's so very different from what you'd typically consider in a vampire novel.  I love the strength of Rose and her utter loyalty to the people she loves.  And I love the love story.  Of course.

3. The Drina Books by Jean Estoril.  Another childhood series, this one about a would be British ballet dancer in mid-twentieth century London.  Drina can be such a Mary Sue, but I love her and her struggles and they're some of those books that I love to curl up with when I want to shut the world out.

4. The Shoes Books by Noel Streatfeild.  Yup, childhood favourite again, and again, books about children on stage.  Between these books and the Drina books is it any surprise that I knew British slang almost better than US slang when I was little?  I wanted to go to Madame Fidolia's Children's Academy of Dancing and Stage Training so, so, so badly. 





This Friday's Question:
Reading Challenges: Did you sign up for any this year?
How has your progression been?


I've never signed up for a single reading challenge!  I've paid attention to them on Goodreads or blogs for a few years, but I've never actually signed up.  Maybe I should for next year?  What ones do you guys recommend?


15 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of some of your series. I tried the fist VA book and never got into it, I know it is blasphemy.

    Old Follower!
    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just signed up for the R.I.P. challenge...gotta read some scary books by the end of October if you wanna join ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beth - Not even blasphemy! Though it makes me sad. ;) <3<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. @librarian Oooh, I could check that out! That sounds like fun...and like there'll be a lot of nights where I don't wanna turn the lights off. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. New Follower. Happy Friday!
    I read the Percy Jackson series over and over.

    Donna @
    bookloversparadise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry Potter and Vampire Academy are series I can totally understand!! I love them :) Great picks!

    Here's my FF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely, Harry Potter lol. But yeah Vampire Academy I <33333 it!!!!

    Awesome post, new follower:D!!

    My Post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting choices. I love children's series even though I am grown. I guess they keep me young at heart. :)
    I did the Good Reads 100 books challenge. I have already made it so next year I will pick a higher number of books. :) The RIP challenge sounds interesting.
    http://www.alaskanbookcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love rereading! I have reread the Shoes books many times, though I haven't reread Drina. I should! I just finished rereading Harry Potter and I was sad when I finished! It's not a series but I reread Tam Lin all the time. It's like a comfort book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the Vampire Academy books. I just haven't read them yet. I'm actually really excited about reading them soon!

    My Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, I love Ballet Shoes so much- I read White Shoes once and I didn't love it, but Ballet Shoes I LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yaye - I picked the Vampire Academy series, too! I freaking LOVE those books!

    New follower! Feel free to check out my blog if you'd like:
    http://theirishbanana.blogspot.com/2011/09/follow-friday-5.html

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Follow Friday!

    I hope you will stop by and check out our twitter event going on today!
    http://OurBooksOurVoice.Blogspot.com

    Sincerely,
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopping through. Oh my gosh, Drina! I only read one of the books, but I remember being enchanted by it.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, I love the Shoes series. And I just finished reading and reviewing the first Alanna book, so I hope to say the same about the Tortall series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I read and adore each one.