Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Audition and Bunheads


Waiting on Wednesday’s a feature hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine to highlight the books we just can’t wait to get our hands on.

This week the book I'm looking forward to the most is:

Audition
by Stasia Ward Kehoe
October 13, 2011

When high school junior Sara wins a coveted scholarship to study ballet, she must sacrifice everything for her new life as a professional dancer-in-training. Living in a strange city with a host family, she's deeply lonely-until she falls into the arms of Remington, a choreographer in his early twenties. At first, she loves being Rem's muse, but as she discovers a surprising passion for writing, she begins to question whether she's chosen the right path. Is Rem using her, or is it the other way around? And is dancing still her dream, or does she need something more? This debut novel in verse is as intense and romantic as it is eloquent.




I'm so torn over this novel!  On one hand, it's a ballet book, and I'm such a sucker for them.  On the other, I'm not the hugest fan of the 'novel in verse' thing.  I don't know why I'm so apathetic about the novel in verse.  They seem like such a cool idea, and I really, really tried to read the one about the Salem Witch Trials, but I just couldn't get through it.  As I think about it more, I wonder if it's that I just really, really like dialogue?  Still...ballet book.  Dancing might get me to read a novel in verse finally.


Which brings me to...the other ballet book coming out in October!


Bunheads 
by Sophie Flack
October 11, 2011


As a dancer with the ultra-prestigious Manhattan Ballet Company, nineteen-year-old Hannah Ward juggles intense rehearsals, dazzling performances and complicated backstage relationships. Up until now, Hannah has happily devoted her entire life to ballet.

But when she meets a handsome musician named Jacob, Hannah's universe begins to change, and she must decide if she wants to compete against the other "bunheads" in the company for a star soloist spot or strike out on her own in the real world. Does she dare give up the gilded confines of the ballet for the freedoms of everyday life?





How weird is it that two books with such similar synopses are coming out in the same week?  But I'm absolutely looking forward to both of them.  And how beautiful is the cover of Bunheads?  I seriously adore it.

2 comments:

  1. The cover for Bunheads is beautiful! Even just the title makes me want to read it. My sister-in-law used to dance ballet, so everything dance makes me think of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Colleen - I'm right there with you. The title (and then the gorgeous cover) pulled me in right away. And I hope you like your sister-in-law because otherwise, I can imagine that'd make dance much less palatable. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I read and adore each one.