Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Prized by Caragh O'Brien

Waiting on Wednesday’s a feature hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine to highlight the books we just can’t wait to get our hands on.

This week the book that I just can't wait for:


Prized
by Caragh O’Brien
November 8, 2011

Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime.  In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole?



I loved Birthmarked.  It’s an imagining of a dystopian society that actually makes sense instead of “throw everything bad into a pot and mix!”  I could see how the society Gaia lives in came about and why it’s where it is.  It was a weighty read that took concentration to get through, but it was very definitely worth it.

Also I liked that the Enclave is on the shores of what used to be Lake Superior.  What can I say, I’m a Great Lakes girl!

Birthmarked ended with quite a lot thrown up into the air so I’ve been looking forward to Prized even more just to see where O’Brien’s going with this!  I received an ARC of Prized  through NetGalley (thank you so much!) which I’m going to read just as soon as I either get a chance to buy Birthmarked or it comes into the library!  I can’t wait!


The US versions of the first two covers are pretty cool, but how much do I ADORE the British covers?  Between the girl in three-quarters/profile and the quotes and the flowers?  Gorgeous.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm amazed at how different the covers are. I have not read Birthmarked, but I love dystopian works so I should go check that out. Right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly different! I think the US covers are objectively more 'pretty,' but the UK covers are just so intriguing.

    I hope you love Birthmarked! And reading it now means less of a wait hurray - though I have a feeling we'll all be waiting impatiently again for the third.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I read and adore each one.